New Blog!

Please visit my new website and blog at www.rachelschmidt.ca. Thanks!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Into the Quiet

One year ago, my life exploded. It wasn’t just falling apart, it was in a million pieces. All of my carefully made plans disintegrated. All of my hope for the future fell onto the floor. And I was thrown into chaos. Doctor’s appointments, medications, therapy, lung tests, heart tests, x-rays, CT scans, bone density tests, chemo, radiation… the list is endless. It was a whirlwind of treatment and the most extreme of emotions. And while I had lots of rest, I never felt rested. My mind was never quiet. What did I regret? What did I treasure? Would I die? Would I be chronically ill or disabled? And if I didn’t die, what would I do next?

With the one year anniversary of my diagnosis now passed, I have a pressing, urgent need to get quiet. Something was lost during my cancer battle, an innocent, optimistic, invincible part of me that I would like to get back. But another part was also lost, the busy part of me, the driven part, the part that wanted success at all costs. And I don’t miss her.

So I’m going into the quiet.

Part of the reason that I wanted to do my yoga teacher training was to have something to strive for. I flounder when I don’t have a goal, but I wanted a goal that was gentle, achievable and, yes, quiet. I have a tendency towards overachieving, and I know that diving back into my PhD at this stage of healing would almost surely kill me. Now that I’ve survived this year of diagnosis and treatment, a year that left very little room for self-reflection, I want a year of true healing. This might mean different things to different people. For me, it means yoga, running, nutrition, family, friends, and God. And not much else.

But there is a problem with being quiet. I’m loud. I am an unapologetic extrovert. I eat too fast. I like running hard. I love being busy and I love to talk. Being quiet is not in my nature. My mom used to say: “We’re right here, Rachel, you don’t need to shout.” Now I say the same thing to my son.

And yet, in these days after cancer, all I want is to be quiet. Truly against type, I would love to go to one of those spiritual retreats where you don’t speak for an entire weekend. It must be my donor’s immune system taking over – maybe he is an introvert.

But in my search for quiet, I discovered that I’m terrible at meditating. Really terrible. I sit down and try to meditate and my mind jumps around like a chattering monkey, latching onto any thought and bouncing it around my head like a pinball. I may not be speaking, but I am certainly not quiet. This is where yoga comes in. With the right teacher, I don’t think during a yoga class. I breathe, I adjust my body, I work through the flow, and my head clears. It is a moving meditation, and I get into the quiet spaces that have eluded me since the doctors said the word leukemia.

So doing the yoga teacher training wasn’t really a career decision – I don’t know what I’ll do once I’m done. I still haven’t ruled out the PhD. Rather, the yoga training was a spiritual decision. A decision made to support my healing, my quest for quiet, and my longing for true rest after a year of total hell.

Who knows? Maybe after all of this zen I’ll turn out to be a quiet person after all.

But I doubt it.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts. It' amazing how easy it is to identify with your struggles, yet I have never been through anything like it. Your voice is wonderful. Good luck with the quiet. Finding out what your needs are will surely help make sure you meet them.

    ReplyDelete